Saturday, May 23, 2009

Cub Scouts Memorial Day Flag Planting

Today I took Ryan to the Veterans National Cemetary with his Cub Scout Pack. For the eighth year the Boy Scouts & Girl Scouts have been coming to the cemetary on Memorial Day weekend to plant flags at all of the grave sites. This is no small endeavor. The cemetary is 105 acres and there are 85,00 grave sites including 14 medal of honor recipients. It was an amazing experience (at least I think so). Here is Ryan with his Pack Flag....
They had to address the grave site, which Ryan did by reading the persons name out loud and we read what state they came from or in a few cases what country they came from. Then he planted the flag in the ground...
then he had to salute the person and move onto the next grave. Ryan went through a little over 3 bundles of flags and I think each bundle was about 20-25 flags.
This is a picture looking out at the cemetary prior to the event starting
This is looking forward after the planting was completed. It took about 20 minutes to mark 85,000 graves with flags----AMAZING american flags as far as the eye could see. It kind of took your breath away.
I hope Ryan will remember this for a long time. I think we will definitely participate in this again next year.
Night all, Kim

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aw...... that actually brought tears to my eyes! How amazing, that is so wonderful. What a little man Ryan is becoming.... it all goes by way too fast!
Chris- :-)